Friday 9 November 2012

"The Egg and Bacon Thing"

You know how we all one meal from childhood that takes you back in time?  This is Chris'... he has mentioned it many times over the years and always describes it as the 'egg and bacon thing'.  Well, when we went South at the end of September we dropped in on Chris' sister and she gave me the recipe for the 'egg and bacon thing'!!  (a recipe without quantities and no visual aid as to what it should end up looking like)!!

But... we had the recipe and we had Chris' memories so giving it a go seemed to be the next sensible step.

The Egg and Bacon Thing
Casserole dish
Butter dish well
a layer of breadcrumbs
a layer of minced bacon
a layer of eggs (raw, just drop them in)
a layer of tomatoes
another layer of breadcrumbs
top with a couple of knobs of butter
cook in oven at 180c - until egg yokes are hard and bacon is cooked.

OK... now I did have a mincer to do the bacon but after checking the contents of my cupboards and not finding it... I sort of figured out that the last time I saw it was in South Africa prior to 2006.  I have no idea where it went and it could possibly be in some of the boxes yet unpacked from that particular trip and not feeling inclined to compound my unpacking and packing situation we opted to buy a new one!! ;)  Chris ordered a nice smart electric version and it arrived yesterday morning.  
When I inquired into the timing of the recipe he mentioned that his Mum always cooked it in a Pyrex see thru casserole dish so you could tell when it was cooked... and yes, I am sure I had a set of those too... but they aren't in this kitchen so we went and bought one!!  (this recipe just cost me £40 and I have no idea if I am even going to like it and I am now thinking that £40 would get me a nice restaurant meal)!!
So I started grating a couple of slices of bread to make the breadcrumbs... and very soon realised that life is too short to grate bread and used my hands instead..
Chris played with the shiny new electric toy of a mincer and made a packet of bacon vanish in seconds and we were ready to go...
layer of breadcrumbs (3 slices of bread)
layer of bacon (1 800 gram pack)
dropped raw eggs (5 eggs)
sliced tomatoes (2 tomatoes)
and the rest of breadcrumbs on top.
Bake in centre of oven for 35 -40 minutes or until your egg yolks are firm

and Chris says it tastes just like his Mum made!! :)

Oh, and I liked it too!  I would have it with a side salad but Chris said it needed potatoes... potatoes in the form of chips!! LOL

7 comments:

  1. I was with this all the way until the tomatoes. I just can't like tomatoes and eggs together. I would substitute mushrooms instead.
    One day you'll empty all those boxes and sell it all on eBay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are those boxes from 2006 with you, or packed away in Scotland? I can only imagine how glad you will be once you and Chris can finally settle down and finally get everything in one spot. then the final unpacking will begin.

    I remember your move from Saudi Arabia to Calgary, and what a difference it was. Now I'm looking forward to seeing this new home (HINT, HINT because I can be a pain, too).

    How are Pandy and Tom Tom? Did they survive the trip? Yep, I'm a REAL pain at times.

    BTW, I love the egg thingy, but change the bacon to cheese and I'll join in ANY day!! And just think. You have started your next journey in life with a 40 pound (dollar wise) meal and some new toys to play with. I believe Chris paid you the ultimate compliment, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does look tasty... I have missed a few of your posts so just catching up... Glad you arrived home safe & Pandora & Tom Tom have settled in... Boy you have so many boxes to unpack in your craft room... But I can't blame you for having a shopping spree at Michaels... Have a fun time catching up with family & friends.. But take care with those boxes! Yikes it sounds painful work.. Hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooo that sounds yummy - Chris obviously thought so.

    You'll get to those boxes in time so don't worry - enjoy catching up with family and tucking in to the egg & bacon thing.

    Toni xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm waiting to find out if you liked it Annette?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah bless it was worth it - if it was just like Mum made! Although with a slightly high price tag - although now you can make it again! And having food that reminds you of childhood is simply magical.

    Hope you have a beautiful weekend!

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comment, it is truly appreciated - sort of confirms that it is more than my Mum and husband that read this thing! :)